1. The world's best reading app

Great articles, no ads. Get started for free.

The AtlanticArthur C. Brooks2/11/216 min
    51 reads14 comments
    9.3
    The Atlantic
    51 reads
    9.3
    You must read the article before you can post or reply.
    • Pegeen
      Top reader this weekScoutScribe
      1 year ago

Wow, I have to say, this was a surprisingly good article. I also happen to agree with it. I’ve always taken it slow with men, getting to know them first, becoming friends. And I love the restraint involved when the feelings begin to shift and it’s obvious that there’s so much more to be discovered and enjoyed. Delayed gratification is hot!

• DellwoodBarker1 year ago

✨I give this comment 5 Stars✨

• Pegeen
          Top reader this weekScoutScribe
          1 year ago

Hilarious!

• Jessica
        Top reader this weekScribe
        1 year ago

“Delayed gratification is hot” yes!!! Agree!!

• Pegeen
          Top reader this weekScoutScribe
          1 year ago

Awesome!

• Plum
      Top reader this weekReading streak
      1 year ago

I loved this article but liked the comments even more.

• jayvidya1 year ago

“the secret to happiness isn’t falling in love; it’s staying in love.”

• EZ19691 year ago

I love this article. It rings sweet and true.

• Karenz
        Top reader this weekScribe
        1 year ago

That’s because your parents, married over 50 years and surviving one breakup, have been best friends since the 4th grade!!!

• sjwoo1 year ago

Goddamn, that's Nietzsche's quote? I guess it makes sense. It's romantically utilitarian.

• Florian1 year ago

falling in love is the start-up cost for happiness—an exhilarating but stressful stage we have to endure to get to the relationships that actually fulfill us.

This is clever and made me think of you, @Bill :)

• kellyalysia1 year ago

I’ve always held judgment over the term companionate love (sounds sexless and like a life of convenience, two people afraid to challenge each other or grow outside of their comfort zone) but this casts it in a different light.

• TripleG
      Top reader this weekReading streakScoutScribe
      1 year ago

I love that last line:and then hers, I pray, will be the face I see as I draw my last breath—her image one substance with my soul.

• DellwoodBarker1 year ago

Beautiful Read.

Having just woke up about an hour ago from a dream of a kind of Marshall law in urban setting and civilians throwing bombs in underground concrete bunkers. Odd. The explosion woke me...

This is a Wonderful Read to ease back under the covers after having read.

But these habits pale in comparison with one big one: The most important predictors of late-life happiness are stable relationships—and, especially, a long romantic partnership. The healthiest participants at age 80 tend to have been most satisfied in their relationships at age 50.

🚣🏽🌝 zzzzzzZ Back Across Moon River Zzzzzzz 🌝🚣🏽