1. The world's best reading app

Great articles, no ads. Get started for free.

Of Dollars And DataNick Maggiulli1/18/226 min
    23 reads9 comments
    6.7
    Of Dollars And Data
    23 reads
    6.7
    You must read the article before you can post or reply.
    • p_scaal10 months ago

Ah yes the wonderful struggle of capitalism. Also that quote is not Ben Franklin: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/11/03/not-buried/amp/

• thorgalle
        Top reader this weekScoutScribe
        10 months ago

Hah, fun site! I looked up a bit more context on "Be the Change You Wish To See in the World" being attributed to Gandhi, which I remember having googled several times before. Thorough digging there.

• bill
        Top reader of all timeScout
        10 months ago

Great catch! Still a good quote though 😉

• Florian10 months ago

In my 20ies I’d have agreed with the author. As I grew out of this I realised that a purpose is possible without “the grind”

• bill
        Top reader of all timeScout
        10 months ago

Yes. Good perspective. I think I’ve spent more time thinking about your comment than the article itself.

There does seem to be a connection between (hard) work and purpose. But it’s also undeniable that some of the most meaningful moments in my life haven’t involved “the grind.” So yeah - it’s not cut and dry.

The larger moral still stands: time is more important than money. And don’t waste your time... whatever that means to you.

• thorgalle
        Top reader this weekScoutScribe
        10 months ago

I’m in my 20ies, I’m not agreeing with the author either. What time you considered “wasted” depends so much on what you value. And that can change over time too.

• TripleG
      Top reader this weekReading streakScoutScribe
      10 months ago

What makes life meaningful is purpose. Wasting away your life on endless entertainment is tragic.

• Karenz
        Scribe
        10 months ago

TripleG, I couldn’t agree with you more!! That’s why I’m still working as a therapist at 75!! My husband and I took a huge leap of faith in our 40’s starting our own private practice. We had SO much to learn about business but we knew we loved seeing clients—and we still do!! We’ve cut our schedules back to fit our energy level but continue to have purpose, structure, a sense of being useful. We’re training younger therapists to take over for us one day. I’m a total sports fanatic so that’s mainly what I watch on TV. My busy kids don’t have to worry about me. I’m totally against a grind and feel for anyone stuck there. But nothing replaces meaning and purpose, wherever you can find it and pay your bills..